Thursday, September 4, 2014

THE LIFE: CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN: BIG BARK, NO BITE


          As I watched Victoria walk away, I began to feel more alone than I ever thought was possible. I never realized how hard and how scary it would be on my own. I don't have no knowledge of this world outside of my daddy's plantation. Wow! My daddy. I never thought I would think of Master Thorne as anything but my owner. I never thought I would miss him as much as I do now. This was not the way I thought things would turn out for me. I miss everyone and everything. Well, not everyone. Miss Katherine will never be missed by me no matter how bad my life turns out. I don't wish her no harm, but I don't want to ever see her again.
          My first night alone was the most frightful. When I left the gates of the cemetery, I found a dirt path. I didn't know where it would take me, but I knew I had to keep moving. I could hear Victoria's words to me about first light. I looked to the east, and I could see Venus at it's western point.  It was as if I could actually touch it, as it gave the notion of pending sunrise. I hurried along the dirt path and thankfully came upon an open gate that led to a field. I walked through the field and almost tripped over what looked like a large rock. I stopped and remembered Victoria saying to be aware of my surroundings. As I looked around, I saw tall grass and weeds covering headstones. This is another cemetery.  I continued to walk silently, as not to disturb anyone or anything. This new life or death or whatever it is has given me enough reason to trust nothing as it seems to be.
          The wind felt as though it was flying through my being. The dew drops on the tall grass kissed me with every step. Everything was different. Everything was more real and alive. I felt as though my body was floating on top of everything below me. Moving forward and not wasting any time, I noticed what looked like a stone shed about fifty feet from where I was walking.Thankfully it was another crypt.  I ran toward it and was at the door in less than two seconds. How did I do that? Is this another part of me that I did not know about?  My head was spinning, and I thought I would faint. I managed to break open the lock on the crypt, stepped inside, and slowly closed the door behind me. It was cold and dark. This is where I would make my resting place for tonight. I sat the satchels on the dirt floor and pulled out a small, tin lantern given to me by Victoria. It looked like a tea pot, but the top was completely closed and a small wick extended from the spout.  I had no idea how to light it without having any fire. I reached into the bag and pulled out everything, but nothing I could use to light the wick.
          I looked around, and just as the crypt I left, I could see skeletons on the floor. Though not as many, but they lay in the same way. I stared at them for a long time thinking of how they may have died. I thought about what their families were like, what their lives must have been like, what they loved most in this world. I did not worry much about the lantern anymore. I didn't need the light. I could see just fine without it. Another new found wonder about myself.
          I sat on the middle of the three cold vaults that was not being used. I did not feel it necessary to disturb the dead more than I already had. The vault was cold and comforting. I didn't need any bed sheets or pillows. I sat back against the wall and opened a second satchel. I was getting hungry and I reached inside for the jar of blood Victoria had given to me. I did not understand how I was suppose to enjoy this new food, but I had no choice, if I wanted to continue to stay in this world. I stared at the jar, turned it round and round, opened it and inhaled it's aroma. It was an aroma! It smelled like apples and pears freshly piked from the branches. I closed my eyes and took in the sweet smell, as I held on tightly to the jar. I dipped my finger inside just far enough to touch the top of the dark thick liquid with my finger. I placed the drop on my tongue, and my entire being started to feel alive. The taste from the single drop was almost more than I could bare, but I had to have more. As I drank from the jar, my entire body became warm, and my eyes began to open. I could see as clear as I could if I was in daylight. My mind was clear. My focus was clear. My understanding was clear. My smile turned into a slight giggle, then I was laughing uncontrollably. I was drunk and out of my head. I sat thinking of my new life. I thought about where I would go and how I would get there. I didn't possess any money or anything I could trade for money. I had no inkling of how I was going to survive. I had to learn how to hunt for food, find places to sleep, make sure no one was after me. The whole situation was becoming too much for me to wrap my head around. My eyes were heavy and my body was giving up the strength it had only moments ago. I was beginning to feel weak and dazed. I carefully placed the jar back into the satchel that lay on the dirt floor beneath me. Soon after, the life inside of me faded away.
          When I awoke, my mind was confused. For a moment I did not remember where I was. I reached out for Jonathan, but he wasn't there. I sat up quickly, looked around, realized my fate as being without my family,without anywhere to call home, without anyone to love or to love me. This was a cruel fate, but mine none the less. I climbed off of the vault and reached for the satchel that contained my breakfast. I took a drink and was quickly aware of everything once again. I started gathering my things, knowing that I could not stay here, fearing what awaited me outside tonight. I listened for sounds of anyone stirring about before I opened the door of the crypt. Upon not hearing anything that could harm me, I slowly opened the door and walked out as quickly as I had come in. I came back to the same dirt path that had led me to the cemetery. I kept walking east until I could hear faint whispers of people talking. The whispers became louder, as I came to the ending of the dirt path. A loud sound took me by surprise. I walked a little farther, and that's when I saw the most amazing thing. It was long and huge and tall and wide and people were waiting in line to go in. I looked to my left and there was a sign that read 'Shipping Docks'. This was a real ship! I could not believe my eyes. I had only read about such things but never seen it in real life. Is that what Christopher Columbus ships looked like? Oh my, I can only imagine!
          I walked to the line of people getting on and stood behind a tall, thin, middle aged, white man who looked to be traveling with his very young wife who be with child. I peaked beyond the couple to see how fast the line was moving. I knew this is what Victoria wanted me to find. This seemed to be the only way out of this city, since I didn't own a horse and buggy. I had to get on this ship.
          As the line moved forward, I wondered where I was going to travel to. Having no idea about the world in real life, gave me a sense of excitement.  The man and his wife in front of me were now talking to another white man who was shorter and on the larger side. His skin was pale as snow, and his brown hair was thinning at the top. He wore a white shirt underneath a blue jacket. Someone had stitched the numbers 54 on the right side of the jacket and on the right side of the blue pants he wore. Getting passed him seemed to be the only way to getting on the ship. I watched the tall man in front of me give the shorter man some papers. Is that what they call money? I'd never seen money before, so I did not know what I was looking at. The shorter man took the papers, unhooked the rope behind him, and allowed the coupled to enter on the ship. I was next in line. He hooked the ropes back, turned around and seemed to be confused, when he looked at me.

          "Where do you think you're going?"  He spat out.

I was nervous, but I knew I could not show my fear.  "I'm just trying to get on this ship, sir."  I explained calmly.

He let out a huge, hearty laugh.  "I don't reckon you will be doing that."  He stared at me with hateful eyes. The kind of eyes Miss Katherine has. I started to fear that he knew I was a slave and thought I had run away from the plantation.  "Do you have any money?" he asked, as he laughed.

          "No, sir, I don't."  I was so ashamed.

          "Well, I guess you will have to walk to wherever it is you trying to get to. No money, no ship ride. Next!" He yelled, looking past me, as if I was no longer standing there.

          I reckoned my skin color fooled him. I never thought of myself as looking as the white woman look, but I guess others can't seem to tell the difference. But, he knew from the worn clothes I was wearing that I could not afford a boat ride or any other ride for that matter. How am I suppose to get outta here, when I have no idea how to get outta here?  I turned around and almost ran into the woman behind me. When I looked into her eyes,  I felt like I knew her. Something familiar about her eyes to me.  "Excuse me, Ma'am." I said nervously, as I rushed passed her.

          "Wait, little one!" She called out to me. I turned around and looked into her eyes again. She gazed at me, tilted her head slightly to the right, smiled and walked toward me. She had the most beautiful smile. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen other than my mother. She was a white woman, and it seemed strange that she would be talking to me. She walked slowly towards me, her long straight black hair blowing in the nightly breeze. Her lips were the color of scarlet and her eyes like fresh ripe pecans. She was tall and slender and moved with grace. I felt a cold flush of fear, as I realized she probably knew me from the plantation. She probably wanted to take me back. But, I can't go back. I can never go back. I was panicking in my mind, and she seemed to sense my emotion.  She stood in front of me, rubbed the side of my face with her cold hand.  "Where you trying to run off to, little one?"  She asked, as she held my gaze. I felt a wave of sickness wash over me. I was caught. I could not let her take me back to the plantation.  "Well, speak up." She commanded in a soft tone.

          "Nowhere, Ma'am. I was just.........

          "What be yo name, little one?"  she interrupted.

           I knew it was over. I tried to think of a lie, but instead, "Emma, Ma'am. Emma Thorne-Persley."  The truth came out.

          "Well, Mrs Emma Thorne-Persley, such a pretty name for a pretty girl." She smiled at me again, and I didn't know what to think.  "Now tell me where you running off to."

          I was nervous and scared. But, if this was going to be it, I might as well say something.  "I have to get outta here, Ma'am."

          "What fo'?" She sounded concern, but I knew I could not trust no human.

          "I just do. I can't stay here no longer. I have to as soon as possible. I was hoping it would be tonight, but my plans may have to wait until I can make enough money to buy a ride on that boat."

          She was watching me, hanging on to my every word, giving me her full attention.  "Well,"  she finally said,  "If you want to get on this here boat, you can get on with me."

          I was confused.  "But, that man just.........

          She interrupted again.  "Oh, neva mind what he said. He just like a lil dog, big bark no bite."  This made me smile a little.  "Now come on."  She grabbed my hand, and we shuffled our way to the front of the line.

          When the man at the rope saw me again, he stepped in front of me and blocked me from moving forward.  "I thought I told you, you ain't getting on this boat!" he barked viciously. I took a few steps back and felt someone place a hand in my back. It was the mystery woman. I looked at her and she could see my fear. She gave me a wink and made a gesture for me to step aside, as she took her place in front of me.

          "Excuse me, sir."  She was calm and pleasant. The man at the rope was speaking to another man, when he  turned and looked in our direction again.  "I would really be grateful to you, if you let me and my youngen on board this here boat." Youngen? Did she really think she could fool him with this story? Although she was pleasant, I could see from the look in his eyes he wasn't going to be. Just as the scowl began to form on his face, the woman placed her left hand on his right shoulder and looked him dead in his eyes. I just knew I was gone hang for this. The mystery woman would be just fine, since she was a white, but my fate was sealed. But, instead of an act of violence from the man at the rope, the woman began whispering in his ear. I watched as his shoulders went from rigid to relaxed. His voice went from vicious to calm. His face was turning red, as he gave a pleasing smile to the mystery woman. 

          "Well, yes ma'am. You and your youngen very welcome to board this ship."  He stated, as he continued to gaze at her.

          I was scared to move. How was this happening? He actually believed that I am the child of a white woman? He really is stupid. I watched as he unhooked the rope and allowed the mystery woman and I to pass. Once the ropes were hooked behind us, I never looked back.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment