Sunday, May 18, 2014

THE LIFE. A Novel by Leonette MarSha!

                    I had just finished an evening dinner alone at Galatorie's. On any other night, this place would be crowded with tourist eager to visit New Orleans, Louisiana's Historic French Quarters. But tonight was a slow night, and that was ideal for me. I needed a little relaxation after the day I had. The laid back atmosphere gave me a chance to clear my mind of the clutter and nonsense that had clouded my vision and better judgement.

                   I finished my meal, walked outside, and I looked at the black clock that stood on the corner of Bourbon St. and Bienville. It was 5:30, and I knew I needed to get to Adams' before 6:00.  I placed a call to him to let him know I was on my way to pick up the fifty he owed me.  With my motorcycle on the fritz after a minor mishap, my transportation method was limited, and I refused to use any form of public transportation. Walking would take the average person an hour, but I was far from the average person.
         
                      Tonight was like any other for this time of year. The rain had finally stopped after three days, but it left behind a cool December breeze that showered over me. I stood on the sidewalk for a brief moment to embrace the one thing that most people took for granted.....Life. Before today, I was one of those people. I was trying to hold on to a past that had for so long been trying to let go of me. I had been so focused on what I had left behind that it made me blind to the happiness standing before me. I was finally able to admit for me to have a normal life, I would have to bury the part of me that died years ago. I never allowed myself to be happy. I never allowed anyone to get too close for fear of non-acceptance, followed by grief and the harsh realization of living a life without any happiness to ever look forward to. Never the less, I had to make due with what I have left and not worry about the rest.
                    I started my journey toward Adam's and was at his door at 5:40. The door chimes startled him, and he gave a look of relief, as he looked up and saw it was me. "Hey man!" I shouted over the loud speakers blasting what I could only refer to as the heaviest of heavy metal.  He looked up at me and smiled.  "You got that fifty you owe me?"  I asked, as I walked towards him with purpose and so much opportunity.
                    He chuckled and gave me a thumbs up, as I motioned for him to lower the volume on that awful noise.  "I have to tell ya, you gave me the blues over this fifty. I'm glad I finally got it for ya."  He turned the music down and walked toward me. He had a  long lean body, jet black hair, caramel skin and a strong jawline. Indian blood, but not full blood. He wore a black AC/DC t-shirt underneath a black leather vest. His blue jeans were ripped at the knees, and I could see he was wearing a pair of black Gaerne boots.Nice!

                    "Well, just as long as you got it. I called you about it a month ago. I thought I would have had it by now."

                    "I'm sorry about that. Sometimes things just takes time."  He reached into his back pocket and extended his hand to me.  "It's all yours." He stated gladly.

                    I took what was mine, gave a crooked smile, and headed for the door. He knew he'd made me very happy.  "Thanks, man." Was all I said. I walked out of the door toward the garage with Adam following close behind me. He opened the garage door, we walked inside, and I watched him, as he uncovered the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. The 2014  Hayabusa was more than I ever thought it would be. It was my 50.

"Nice, huh?"  Adam followed me with his eyes, as I walked around the bike in awe.

"Nice isn't the word, man. This is out of sight!"

"Did you junk the 64?"

"Nah, man. I have it. I'll restore it back to it's original glory at some point. It's hard to get rid of something I've had for so long. You know?"  He knew. Adam has been holding on to an engagement ring he was going to give to Victorie as long as I can remember. But, it's more than too late now. Love takes time to heal. I guess Adam just hasn't found anyone who could ever replace her.

Without hesitation, I strapped on my helmet and mounted my scarlet and black beauty with ease. I revved the engine a few times to make sure she purred as expected. The power of the 4 cylinder was unreal. I looked at Adam and smiled. I turned the bike toward the garage exit, gave a final thumbs up, and I rode out into the night.

                    I was happy to be back in my home town. It took me a long time to have the courage to show my face around here again. As I rode over the Westbank Bridge, old memories flooded my mind. Memories that made me think about the choices I'd made. Memories that made me feel larger than life. Memories that made me the person I am today.  I'm sorry for being rude. Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Astrid Hightower. They say, if you are going to tell a story, start from the beginning. Give your audience a chance to know who you are. Well, this is a story of my life and the lives of those I have loved and lost. The life I have lived through more seasons than I care to remember. The life I have hated and cursed until now. The life.............

                    

                   
              

No comments:

Post a Comment